Thursday 21 January 2010

Xmas Task 5

Introduction:
In this paragraph, I intend to introduce the title of my Critical Investigation, and to briefly explain the concept behind it, and what I aim to find from it. I will also explain what a moral panic is. I will briefly touch upon the platform that I am going to be focusing my research on, and why I have chosen this platform. Lastly, I will briefly introduce the topic of black people and the extent moral panic has actually gone to.

1st Paragraph:
In my 1st paragraph, I aim to discuss the history of black people in more context, from its slavery days, to the civil rights. And its origins, throwing in a couple of qualitative data which will talk about different first hand encounters with moral panic, and how it may have shaped their life. Additionally I will be referring to several online articles which can be said to have caused moral panic over the issue, such as poverty and cultural deprivation being the main source and reason for violence amongst black teens in poverty stricken areas.
The Media Studies, Authors: O'Sullivan, Tim, Jewkes Yvonne(2004)
"
Black people have been largely portrayed as part of the mainstream middle class, which does not accuratley reflect the lives of many blacks who find themselves excluded from such a life in advanced capitalist societies",

http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Students/mtw9403.html

"In the 1970s the image of the black mugger became a target of those wishing to instil concern in the minds of the public, a panic which was to lead to a great deal of prejudice and racism at every level of society and a fear which, to a large extent, remains today".
Matthew Wood
This is another useful quote, as it addresses how racism could have been created as a moral panic in the 70's as a result of a stereotypical picture published. The picture clearly caused conflict and anger where it were distributed, and given a bad name to those who were innocently targeted.

2nd Paragraph:
In this paragraph, I will elaborate further on the 1st paragraph, except I will use primary evidence and sources from books as they will give a more traditional opinion as to why there is so much negative representation of black people in the media. I will address the historical youtube clip of The Ministrels as the video is clearly provoking. The things i use in this paragraph, are there in order to be argued against in the next.

3rd Paragraph:
In this paragraph, I will contradict the previous paragraph, stating that the moral panic is not on the increase and is the fault of those who represent themselves in this way.
Black Demons: The Media's Depiction of the African American Male Criminal Stereotype. Author: Dennis Rome
"According to Stallworth (1994), young black men and women both continue to follow to patterns of slavery times".

I will use various websites and articles issued by the Guardian, Independant, and Daily Mail sites to support this. Additionally, I aim to discuss the similarities between the texts, and contradict this in the next paragraph.

4th Paragraph:
In this paragraph, I aim to assess using the view of masculinity, whether or not the moral panic is correct or not.
Branston,Gill,Stafford Roy(2003): the Media Student's Book.London Great Britain.Routledge.
"Many men feel that the most compelling advertising respresentations of masculinity are ones that produce real levels of anxiety and inadequacy, even if male culture, with its emphasis on 'strong' silences or loud camaraderie, makes it difficult to talk about or express such feelings".
Page: 382
From this, I aim to evaluate if it is harder being a black male citizen living with moral panics rather than a female, as being male carries more stigma due to knife and gun crimes etc. I will use various theories to support my argument such as the black liberation theory.
Conclusion:
In this paragraph, I will summarise the rest of my essay, coming to my own rounded conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment