Sunday 3 January 2010

Xmas Task 5: Essay Plan

"An investigation into the medias role in generating the ongoing moral panic in Britain surrounding knife crime"

Introduction:
In this paragraph, I intend to introduce the title of my Critical investigation, and to briefly explain the concept behind it, and what I aim to find from it. I will also explain what a moral panic is. I will briefly touch upon the platform that I am going to be focusing my research on, and why I have chosen this platform (Print Production)

1st Paragraph:
In my 1st paragraph, I aim to discuss the history of knife crime, and its origins, throwing in a couple of statistics as to when it were at its peak etc. Additionally I will be referring to several online articles which can be said to have caused moral panic over the issue, such as poverty and cultural deprivation being the main source and reason for violence amongst teens in poverty stricken areas.

2nd Paragraph:
In this paragraph, I will elaborate further on the 1st paragraph, except I will use primary evidence and sources from books as they will give a more traditional opinion as to why there is so much street violence. A quote I recently heard is that we have been this way for as long as caveman days, deemed survival of the fittest. As stated, I will touch more on the negative views on knife crime. The things i use in this paragraph, are there in order to be argued against in the next.

3rd Paragraph:
In this paragraph, I will contradict the previous paragraph, stating that knife violence is not on the increase and not such a big threat to the UK. I will use various wbsites and articles issued by the Guardian, Independant, and Daily Mail sites to support this. Additionally, I aim to discuss the similarities between the texts, and base the next paragraph on that.

4th Paragraph:
In this paragraph, I aim to assess fully the extent of how bad knife crime has become, and whether it is correct to cause a moral panic about it in order to publicise the full extent of he problem, or it is wrong, and that the media should handle things in a completely different manner. I will use various theories to support my argument (Marxism, Cultivation Theories etc).

Conclusion:
In this paragraph, I will summarise the rest of my essay, coming to a rounded conclusion.

1 comment: